Bike and Build

Bike and Build
Southern United States

Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Bike & Build Bubble

As you might imagine, we are in a contained Bike & Build bubble while on this trip.  We don't hear about current events because we are on the road and out of cellular/internet connection for eight hours a day.  When we get to host locations, discussions about the downing of the Malasian flight or conflict in Israel-Palesine are rarely the desired conversations. 

Yesterday, Kirsten and I actually discussed current events with our host and enjoyed not only catching up on the real world but also thinking about how our view of humanity has adapted because of this disconnect.  Kirsten proposed that she might have a more positive outlook on life because she isn't constantly being assaulted by news stories that are largely negative in content.  

I think each person's reaction to this disconnect is different.  I enjoy being up to date and in fact, I seek out news stories on my telephone so that I can maintain some knowledge of the larger global picture.  That being said, some of my teammates really revel the opportunity to take a haiatus from electronics, from professional responsibilities, from school work and from the weight of the real world.  

Either way, Bike & Buikd definitely puts participants in a bubble.  

No comments:

Post a Comment