Bike and Build

Bike and Build
Southern United States

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Just Tap Your Ruby Red Slippers

All the time my teammates and I receive questions about how we get home after Bike & Build.  After biking all the way across the country, how does our bike get to it's final destination and how do all 32 of us get to our respective home towns? 

The answer is different for each rider.  It's important to remember that SUS riders are from all over the country.  One girl is from Oakland CA so getting home is as easy as a car ride from Monterey.  Another girl has family in Portland OR so she and a car full of Bike & Builders are road tripping north up the west coast.  One girl is considering biking home to Bellingham WA.  The four leaders road trip back to get the van and trailer back to its resting place in Philadelphia PA.  I will personally be flying home to Charlotte along with many of my teammates.  

As for the bikes, those will likely get shipped via UPS or checked on the plane unless of course the rider has family coming to drive them home.  

All in all, this amazing adventure has just under 4 weeks left on the clock.  That being said, some of my co-riders have had to start thinking about buying plane tickets and organizations their post-Bike & Build plans.  Some people have over a month until their jobs start or school gets back in session.  Alternatively, some people have to fly out of Monterey on the 3rd because they have obligations like a White Coat Ceremony for medical school or a flight to South America for their next adventure with the Peace Corp.  

I like to think that I have found a nice balance brtween these two extremes.  I will be spending a few days on the west coast before flying home and beginning my preparations for my semester abroad in Cape Town, South Africa, my flight for which departs August 14th.  

My question is, can we take this little guy home with us? 


No comments:

Post a Comment