Bike and Build

Bike and Build
Southern United States

Friday, July 11, 2014

Service Anyone?

Would you believe that reception out here in the Grand Canyon is spotty?  Truth be told, it has been a pleasure to take a step back from technology and treasure the present moments but I also want to make sure to get some updates out to all you lovely folks.

It is no secret among my team that I despise hill climbing.  I enjoy pulling in headwinds (meeting the front person in a line of cyclists while everyone else drafts) and I love downhills and tailwinds.  But somehow, my body doesn't like to climb.  

I was in for quite the shock when yesterday's ride entailed 110 miles coupled with 6900 feet of climbing, 3400 of which came in the last 20 miles.  That being said, finishing a ride like yesterday's route into Jacob Lake is an amazing feeling.  

Today was somewhat similar terrain to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  There was lots of rolling mountains which made for rigorous but oddly enjoyable biking.  The environment resembled the alpine rather than the picturesque desert scene you might catch in post cards of the Grand Canyon that generally capture the South Rim.  Still, here we are in breathtakingly beautiful northern Arizona. 



No comments:

Post a Comment