Bike and Build

Bike and Build
Southern United States

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hills Or Headwinds? Give Me The Sierra Nevada

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a climber.  In the Tour de France they have a jersey for the King of the Mountains and needless to say, if there were a red polka dot jersey for the Tour de Bike & Build, I would not be wearing it.  I'll take a headwind any day but I'm not nearly as strong up the inclines.  

That being said, yesterday's ride day into the Sierra Nevada mountains makes a non-mountain person like myself appreciate climbing and the beauty of a steep cliff face.  

As we embarked on our ride day, we were surrounded by the sandy foothills of the Sierras which were gorgeous in their own right.  




As the day progressed, the mountains transformed from light brown sandy materials to darker, more rugged looking rock.  





Finally, here in Lone Pine CA we are within view of Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the contigeous United States standing at 14,508 feet tall.  That peak and many of the surrounding mountains are white stone much like the terrain that we are approaching in Yosemite.  


It was a gorgeous ride and I am ready for more, even if it does mean more climbing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment