Bike and Build

Bike and Build
Southern United States

Monday, August 25, 2014

Where the Sun, the Sea and the Mountains Meet

Well, the summer is officially over.  After an astounding and life-changing 80 days on the road, I boarded a plane and traversed the Atlantic Ocean, crossed the equator, made a pitstop in Senegal, and finally landed in Cape Town, South Africa over 36 hours later.  

It is this beautiful city which I will get to call home for the next 4 1/2 months.  And after just over a week in Cape Town, I still wake up each morning astounded by the view of Table Mountain I see from my window and the expansive sky that seems to spread infinitely in every direction.  

Without a doubt, my summer with Bike & Build was the most incredible 3 months of my life.  I had the phenomenal pleasure of doing something I love (riding my road bike) and changing people's lives by putting that passion toward a good cause.  Even now, three weeks after we dipped out tires in the Pacific, I still cannot believe that the experience is over.  I know that it will always be something I carry with my in my heart and in my ethics; I also hope that our cause and the impact we made will be something that families across the United States carry with them for the rest of their lives.  

But no looking back, right?  The next chapter of my life begins, and while I won't be blogging about my semester spent interning and taking classes in South Africa, maybe I can leave everyone with a little taste of the astounding vistas in Cape Town.  

Sonya Schoeman, a South African photographer, attempted to capture some of this amazing city's beauty on film.  












1 comment:

  1. Glorious photos! Lovely city. So pleased you are enjoying it

    ReplyDelete